Saturday, April 12, 2014

Wilderness Trace in Danville, KY: First Visit

Wilderness Trace is my fist excursion onto the Kentucky Bourbon Craft Tour and, as it turned out, it was a fabulous way to get introduced.  The distillery is located in an attractively understated building on Roy Arnold Avenue in Danville.  When I say "in Danville" I'm not exaggerating; it's just barely outside downtown and well within the city limits.  It's kind of neat visiting a place that's part of small town Kentucky and I hope this trend continues so we'll have a nice mix of rural and urban distilleries.


I was fortunate to be the only member of the tour conducted by the very enthusiastic Jerod Smith (who happens to be from my hometown) so I got special attention (including a taste of the latest white dog batch) and I got to pound a bung hole plug into a barrel that had just been filled as we reached the production room.


I also got to sample their Blue Heron Vodka and their rum that's aged in used Four Roses barrels.  I'm not a big vodka or rum fan but, both were pretty darn good and I wouldn't mind having either in my liquor pantry.


My takeaway was that these guys aren't going to cut corners and that they're interested in producing an excellent product.  My first visit won't be my last and I can't wait to sample the first finished bourbon product from Wilderness Trace that should arrive around four years from now.  keep up the good work guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment