Thursday, March 20, 2014

Very Old Barton 100 Proof "Bottled in Bond" Six Year Old Bourbon

Continuing on my venture into rye heavy bourbons, VOB BIB, the "White Label" Very Old Barton, fits the bill nicely.  This 100 proof Goliath is made in Bardstown, KY where they produce the premium Ridgemont Reserve that's really a smooth and elegant whiskey that's not as expensive as most in the premium category.  I've heard, from sources that shall remain nameless, Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond is the foundation bourbon that Ridgemont is derived from.  Ridgemont is aged a couple of years longer than VOB and released at a lower proof (80 proof if I remember correctly).

I think of Ridgemont as a Mazda Miata experience; very nice but not fireworks.  VOB BIB on the other hand makes me think of someone that has a lot of attitude and a lot of muscle to back it up but can also be a heck of a lot of fun to hang out with and won't take all your money.  Yes, as always, I'm looking for a bargain and this beast might be the all time bourbon buy you can find anywhere.  I picked up a 1.75 liter bottle at the Liquor Barn in Danville, KY last week for under twenty-five American dollars and I honestly think it has more flavor and spicy goodness than a lot of bourbons I've sampled that cost two and even three times as much.

If you like a full throttle, full flavored, rye heavy bourbon that won't make you spend your mortgage money, I think you'll like the Six Year Old, Very Old Barton, Bottled in Bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment