Thursday, January 16, 2014

Tastings: Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

I finally got around to pulling the cork on a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked I got as a Christmas present and from the first sip I knew it was one of the most distinctive bourbons I've had the pleasure of drinking.  I'm not saying it's the best or even necessarily my cup of tea but, I'm not saying I wouldn't mind having a bottle of it in my liquor cabinet either.

When I say it's distinctive I mean it really has a flavor profile that puts it in a different category as far as bourbon is concerned.  The bourbon's unique flavor is a result of a second aging in a new white oak barrel that was heavily toasted before it was charred.  This toasting, which I suppose is done with a less intense flame than the charring, allows more release of the oak's natural sugars and it shows up in a big way in the finished product.

The packaging, as with all Woodford Reserve products, is impeccable.  The bottle is the same as the original Distiller's Select but with a bronze colored wrap around label and matching top.  The cork stopper is also like the original and a nice touch for a premium bourbon.  My bottle was a 750ml at 90.4 proof.  There was no batch or bottle number like the original possibly due to the second aging.  My bottle also came with a tag on the neck that had a brief explanation of the different aging process from the master distiller.



When I started my tasting by sniffing out the nose of the whiskey their was no mistaking the extra sweetness and I would venture to say WRDO has to be one of the most easily identifiable bourbons just by it's uniquely floral aroma alone.  As always, when sampling a new bourbon, my first glass was poured neat at it's full 90.4 proof strength.  Right away I picked up a wave of sweet candy that seemed to be wrapped in oak and then a nice long finish of fading sweetness followed by more wood and rye.  I then sampled the product on the rocks, my usual way of drinking whiskey - don't shoot me - and I found that once the ice started melting, more of the woody part of the flavor profile would start to dominate.  I have to say, this is one interesting bourbon that goes through a big flavor spectrum depending on the amount of water to whiskey ratio there is in the glass.  I know all bourbons do that to an extent but this one is almost at the Dr. Hyde, Mr. Jekyll level.  At any rate, this is a quality, well made bourbon that should be enjoyed neat, with water or on the rocks.  Under no circumstances should it be mixed with anything.

I give master distiller Chris Mullins high marks for coming up with such a different kind of bourbon and I would grade the bourbon itself toward the top of the scale.  For me, it's not a go to bourbon but a lot of folks are going to like this one and if someone wanted to buy me a glass I'd be more than happy to accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment