Thursday, January 23, 2014

Revisiting Bourbon's from the Past: Jim Beam White Label, 80 proof

As I was perusing the bourbon section of Liquor Barn in Lexington, KY the other day, it occurred to me that though I've imbibed all the classic bourbons that have been around since before I was around, I've probably not sampled them properly, that is to say, without a cola product being involved.

Back in my misspent youth days, I hadn't developed the sophisticated palate required to enjoy bourbon neat or on the rocks but, I thought bourbon and coke was the nectar of the gods.  These days I almost shudder at the thought of mixing bourbon with anything and, with so many good premium bourbons on the market these days, I've pretty much left those classic bourbons in the lower price range behind.  During my Liquor Barn bourbon search, my eyes fell on the white label Jim Beam and I thought tasting it the way it should be would be a good idea.  As I found out, sometimes my good ideas turn out to be great ideas.



From the very first sip I was somewhat amazed at Jim Beam's clean and smooth oak and rye influenced flavors and I realized why it's one of the most popular bourbon choices on the planet.  It's by no means a complex super assertive whiskey but, that's what makes it special; it's a nice bourbon to sip when you want something simple an uncluttered.  I could also see how it's distinctive flavor would appeal to a wide range of whiskey drinkers especially those who enjoy bourbon based cocktails and the price makes it an absolute steal.

As I worked my through the bottle over the next few days, I made a mental note to have some Jim Beam on hand to enjoy myself and to use for guests who prefer their bourbon mixed in a cocktail or even, shudder, with Coke.

For folks north of 45 years of age who, like me, have moved away from your old time favorites, consider revisiting those bourbons from your younger days.  Jim Beam would be a good way to climb in the time machine and reminisce about those days when any bourbon was a new experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment