Friday, January 24, 2014

Old Forester 86 Proof

I can't say with absolute certainty that I've actually had any Old Forester before this tasting.  In all likelihood I have but, it was probably a long tine ago and that means it was probably mixed with a cola product of some sort.  When I saw a 750ml bottle on special for $15.99 at my local Rite Aid I decided to familiarize myself with the Brown-Forman product.....and I'm glad I did.



It turns out Old Forester 86 is one assertive and complex bourbon usually found in bottles marked at twice the price.  My palate leans toward the rye end of bourbon flavor profiles and this one has a good rye and corn synergy and that's what gives it a very distinct and very bold taste.  It reminds me a little of a Jim Beam white label on steroids.  It looks like I've found a new contender for best inexpensive bourbon.



The packaging is excellent too.  The classic bottle shape and the elegantly understated label is a nice complement to the contents.



I read somewhere that Woodford Reserve is made from the honey barrels of Old Forester and the more I work my way through the bottle the more I can taste the similarity between the two.  If I put this whisky (that's how it's spelled on the label) in a Woodford bottle, I don't think many people would give it a second thought.  In other words; if you like Woodford, you're going to like Old Forester.

I can say, with some certainty, I've not experienced the "Birthday" version of Old Forester but, I keep hearing and reading a lot of good things about it so, it's only a matter of time till you see a review for it on the Bourbon Bliss blog.



I give Old Forester 86 proof a solid 89 out of a hundred rating and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't discovered its superior attributes.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment